"Circumcision, Female" is a descriptor in the National Library of Medicine's controlled vocabulary thesaurus,
MeSH (Medical Subject Headings). Descriptors are arranged in a hierarchical structure,
which enables searching at various levels of specificity.
A general term encompassing three types of excision of the external female genitalia - Sunna, clitoridectomy, and infibulation. It is associated with severe health risks and has been declared illegal in many places, but continues to be widely practiced in a number of countries, particularly in Africa.
- Circumcision, Female
- Circumcisions, Female
- Female Circumcisions
- Female Circumcision
Below are MeSH descriptors whose meaning is more general than "Circumcision, Female".
- Analytical, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Techniques and Equipment [E]
- Therapeutics [E02]
- Cosmetic Techniques [E02.218]
- Body Modification, Non-Therapeutic [E02.218.085]
- Circumcision, Female [E02.218.085.165]
- Surgical Procedures, Operative [E04]
- Body Modification, Non-Therapeutic [E04.085]
- Circumcision, Female [E04.085.165]
- Urogenital Surgical Procedures [E04.950]
- Gynecologic Surgical Procedures [E04.950.300]
- Circumcision, Female [E04.950.300.200]
- Anthropology, Education, Sociology and Social Phenomena [I]
- Social Sciences [I01]
- Anthropology [I01.076]
- Anthropology, Cultural [I01.076.201]
- Culture [I01.076.201.450]
- Circumcision, Female [I01.076.201.450.199]
Below are MeSH descriptors whose meaning is more specific than "Circumcision, Female".
This graph shows the total number of publications written about "Circumcision, Female" by people in this website by year, and whether "Circumcision, Female" was a major or minor topic of these publications.
To see the data from this visualization as text, click here.
Below are the most recent publications written about "Circumcision, Female" by people in Profiles.